Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Raspberry Rosewater Ginger Smoothie


What is it about saying the word "smoothie" that leaves me somewhat embarrassed? I'm not sure whether it's the preciousness of the contrived word, or its mainstream health fad connotations, or something else. But for some reason, I have trouble talking about them. Which is a shame, because they're delicious.

The smoothie can take many forms, most often gaining some milkshake-like body through the use of a ripe banana. But as an avowed banana-hater (several decades and counting), I just can't take that route. So instead I base my smoothies in yogurt and fruit.

This time of year, the fruit pickings are somewhat slim (beyond citrus), so I used some frozen raspberries I found at the farmer's market. I sweetened things up with a touch of maple syrup (because, remember, smoothies are "healthy"), and gave it a bit of freshness with grated ginger and a splash of rosewater (the latter is optional, but adds a nice, clean lightness). Then just a bit of milk for consistency, and (if you choose) ice for slushy fun -- it comes together to make a cleanly refreshing drink that you can be proud of.


Raspberry Rosewater Ginger Smoothie

yields 2 large servings (~3-4 cups total)

2 cups yogurt
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2" knob ginger, grated
1/2 tsp rosewater
1/4 cup milk
handful ice cubes (optional)

Add all of the ingredients except for the ice cubes to a blender, and blitz until well-combined. Taste, and adjust flavorings as desired. Add the ice cubes (if using), and blend to combine. Enjoy cold.

3 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean about the word "smoothie" and I can't stand the word either. Too me, it's just annoying. However, I love them! I'm a banana hater also, but I always add one to my "smoothies" and if they are really ripe, I can't tell a banana is even in it. They do make the smoothie (ugh...that word) creamier. I buy bananas when they are marked down....all brown and over ripe looking....because that is when they are the best. I just peel them, wrap them in foil and freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like smoothies (the word or the food) as a general rule, but this would tempt even me. I quite agree about bananas, evil little yellow fruits as they are. Could one substitute brown sugar for maple syrup, by any chance? I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have a sympathizer in the banana war. And I think brown sugar would be a fine substitute for maple syrup — just add to taste.

      Delete